Review: The Clean Coder

TL;DR - If you care about software development at all, read this book now!
This book is a condensation and distillation of more than 40 years of industry experience. It is an amazing read. The book expresses the concept of professionalism in the clear, simple (not simplistic,) unapologetic style that Bob uses in all his writing. At a short 204 pages, you can read it in a weekend (like I did.)

Having been involved in Agile (XP, XPish, ScrumBut) projects for several years and recently in the software craftsmanship movement, many of the concepts in the book were familiar.

The chapters on Saying Yes, Saying No and Estimation really spoke to me. I have had many experiences where I have agreed to "try." Now I see the danger of that statement clearly. I have also had experiences where I have stayed firm on my estimates and been encouraged to feel as though I was not a committed team player. I now have additional tools to help me combat that feeling and take professional actions despite pressure (from management or the team) to do otherwise.

For me, the most powerful section of the whole book is the commitments section of the Chapter 10 - Estimates. "Professionals don't make commitments unless they know they can achieve them. It's really as simple as that." Wow. I have reread that section several times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simpler Tests: What kind of test are you writing?

Architecture at different levels of abstraction

Episode 019 - Sustaining Communities