Visual Studio: A Wishlist

As you may know, a couple of months ago, one of my friends and teammates posted a couple of blog entries (here and here) about the Visual Studio Fakes toolkit. These posts started a brief dialog with Peter Provost, a Microsoft Visual Studio Program Manager Lead. Though the dialog wasn't fruitful, it did start me thinking. If I consider the time spent developing the Fakes library at the very least wasted and most likely harmful to our industry, what would I have the Visual Studio development team working on? What follows is a wishlist of features I want to see in my day to day code editor.

Less is More

Visual Studio is used by developers working on a wide variety of teams who build a lot of different types of applications. Because of this, it supports many features that are used by a subset of those teams. For example, the TFS team features are integrated into the IDE, though only a portion of .NET dev teams actually use them so are the server explorer and WinForms/HTML/XAML/CSS/XML editors. There is even a built in web browser!
I would love to see Visual Studio stripped down to a very basic state and all the additional tools converted to plugins that are easily added by teams who need or want them. I see the core purpose of Visual Studio to be managing the fairly complex Solution and Project files, providing syntax highlighting and intellisense, and debugging. Most other features should be optional via plugins. In addition, it would be nice if the Solution and Project files included some kind of manifest of the plugins used, so that when I load a web project, I don't get a WinForms editor and when I load a Silverlight projects, I don't get a T-SQL designer. When I load a console project, I don't want a web server. And regardless of which type of project I load, I don't want MS Test or a hacked—up version of IE6 loaded!

Play Nicely with Others

A lot of the requirements for compatibility with other tools would be solved by not having so many built in features, but I think it is still worth calling out as a separate point. I have been using git source control for a while on all my personal projects and we started using it exclusively at work a couple of months ago as well. When using git or any other tool that directly modifies the code files outside of the editor, Visual Studio often gets into a confused state where it accidentally overwrites the files I just checked out. This has lead most members of my team to close VS when reverting or switching branches, both of which are common when using a source control system like git. While I have focused on git, this applies to any tools that edit files outside of the IDE.

Personalized Code Styling

How many hours of development time have been spent arguing about the placement of braces and line breaks? Wouldn't it be nice if there were a way to let Joe put his curly braces on the same line as the method declaration while Jim puts his curly braces on the next line? I have often seen the maintainers of open source projects complain about the "I reformatted your code with ReSharper" pull requests. I would love to see Visual Studio save code in a simple, canonical format and yet display it in using my custom styles. Of course, this should be done through a plugin rather than as a core feature because a lot of teams wouldn't need the feature or may edit code regularly outside of VS.

In Summary

Visual Studio is a great tool for .NET development. I use it every day and like it more than any other IDE I have tried. There are probably a lot of other features that would be nice to have, but I think that if the overall size of Visual Studio were reduced by extracting plugins and, making the creation/distribution/sale of new plugins much easier, we would all benefit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simpler Tests: What kind of test are you writing?

Architecture at different levels of abstraction

Episode 019 - Sustaining Communities